eBay UK have just announced that the price of Gallery in media categories will be reduced to 5p from 1st September to the end of this year. The offer relates to auction, auction with BIN and Buy It Now listings in the following categories:
- Books, Comics & Magazines (excluding the Accessories sub-category)
- DVDs, Film and TV (excluding the Accessories/Storage, Film Memorabilia and TV Memorabilia sub-categories)
- the Games sub-category of Video Games (excluding the other sub-categories of Video Games)
- Music (excluding the Music Memorabilia and Accessories/ Storage sub-categories)
- the Collectables categories:
This is undoubtedly designed to ensure that these high profile categories are attractive to buyers during the spendy season about to start: figures quoted by eBay (admittedly from a few years back) say that auctions with Gallery pictures do around 70% better than listings without Gallery.
However, sellers in other categories not selected for this promotion will inevitably ask why they’ve been excluded: what is it about Gallery pictures in Women’s Clothing, Jewellery, or Crafts, that makes them worth three times the price of Gallery pictures in Media? Of course, Media sellers have another site to go and sell on, so perhaps this is nothing to do with improving the buyer experience and everything to do with stopping the haemorrhage of sellers towards Amazon Marketplace.