With the month of June, and start of summer, officially upon us, Amazon UK have released their #SmileItsSummer Trend Report, predicting the experiences, services and products that will make Britons smile this summer. Amazon have also launched their #SmileItsSummer store.
The independent report, commissioned by Amazon UK and informed by Martin Raymond, co-founder of The Future Laboratory, used future-forecasting to identify six key trends that will take centre stage this summer.
Top 6 #SmileItsSummer Trends
- Pets will be living the same (if not better) lives than their owners this summer
- We’ll spoil them with pet-icures (pawdicure nail polish sales increase by 188% year-on-year on Amazon UK) and popular five-star rated products like soothing skin mud face masks
- The Future Laboratory predict man’s best friend will dine on veggie pet food and join us for a glass of dog-friendly rosé or beer (sales of Not in the Dog House Dog Treat Gift Sets featuring rosé and beer up 260% year-on-year) in the summer sun while relaxing on their memory foam bed (sales up 107% year-on-year)
Fresh is Best
- The kitchen will become the heart of the home once more
- We’ll grow and ferment our own produce using aquaponic kits (a Future Laboratory product to watch) as grow or make-your-own kits are becoming ever popular, including grow-your-own mushrooms (sales increase of 206% year-on-
- The Future Laboratory predicts vegetables and fermented products will take centre stage as we perfect the art of preparation, mincing, stuffing and dicing everything, and indulge in exotic fermented ingredients koji kvass, Jun tea and tempeh
- Entertainment experiences head outdoors this summer as British gardens are transformed into open-air cinemas
- Amazon UK have everything you need to create your own backyard cinema according to The Future Laboratory including outdoor screens, outdoor projectors, firepits and pizza ovens
- Ever-popular products designed for outdoor entertaining also include Bluetooth speakers (sales increase of 497% year-on-year) and fairy lights (up 527% year-on-year)
- This season’s most covetable fitness accessory is predicted to be your workout buddy or ‘Fit-Fam’, be that a parent, child, colleague, sibling, friend or stranger as multi-generational and social fitness communities come to the fore
- Amazon UK has seen a surge in sales of partner, group and family-related sporting equipment including; boxing gloves (sales increase of 223% year-on-year), Fearne Cotton’s Yoga Babies Guide (up 196% year-on-year), tag-along trailer bikes (up 133% year-on-year) and junior cricket sets (up 204% year-on-year). The Future Laboratory predicts kids’ yoga mats as a trending product to watch.
- The traditional family holiday is changing. This summer is all about ‘fly-and-try’ travel designed for those seeking new experiences that will push them outside of their comfort zones
- Brits will choose authentic experiences focused on adventure (adventure backpacks up 110% year-on-year), wellness (sales of wellness oils travel sets up 571% year-on-year) or just pure escapism (noise cancelling headphones up 164% year-on-year)
- Generation Z are looking to find unique and creative ways to document their travels using instant cameras (up 561% year-on-year) and The Future Laboratory predicts that drones designed to capture aerial footage will continue to rise in popularity this summer.
- Britons are purchasing insta-worthy home accessories that will encourage social media likes
- Amazon UK sales data shows indoor plants have increased of 226% year-on-year, while The Future Laboratory predicts cocktail trollies, all things Coral Pink (Pantone 16-1546 Living Coral is 2019’s Pantone Colour of the
- Technology will remain a big trend according to The Future Laboratory as voice-enabled services – such as Amazon’s Alexa – help keep guests entertained and we welcome more smart items (e.g. portable smart tables) into our homes