London-based designer Sian Zeng’s interactive magnetic wallpaper secured the Grand Prize title and $15,000 prize. Combining hand-drawn illustrations and ingenious magnetic lining, the best-selling dinosaur print impressed the international judging panel during Etsy Design Awards with its sophistication and playfulness.
This May saw Etsy announcing the launch of the Etsies – the Etsy Design Awards – the marketplace’s first-ever global competition created to showcase the very best of Etsy’s sellers.
The marketplace noted that one “extraordinary” Etsy seller will be named the Etsy Design Award Grand Prize Winner and will be awarded $15,000. Five category winners will be named Etsy Design Award Category Winners, winning $1,000. All winners will receive a trophy and a bundle of marketing and business prizes.
The winners were selected from thousands of entries, chosen by an internationally renowned judging panel including writer and actor Dan Levy, style expert Joe Zee, author and artist Garance Doré, interior designer Sophie Robinson, décor expert Holly Becker, fashion designer Anavila Misra, and Etsy’s Trend Expert Dayna Isom Johnson.
Etsy Design Awards: Five winners
- Creative Collaborations Category Winner: A custom-made, mid-century inspired dog house created by LA architects Alejandro and Sara Pijuán
- Earth-Friendly Category Winner: Eco-conscious interchangeable summer slides made from discarded tires and upcycled fabric by Athen’s based couple Vicky Moudilou and Stam Guinis
- Festive Celebrations Category Winner: A meticulous hand papercut ketubah (wedding vow artwork) by Israeli-based artist Naomi Shiek
- Inventive Decor Category Winner: A hand-crafted reimagining of a classic sling chair by self-taught woodworker and former Marine Justin Nelson’s first-ever chair design
- Signature Style Category Winner: Texas-based Molly Goodall’s playful ‘Rainbows and Butterflies’ coat
“One of the reasons why I love the Etsy community so much is because of the way creativity comes alive in the products,” says Etsy Trend Expert and Design Awards judge Dayna Isom Johnson. “Sian’s wallpaper is an incredible example of how sellers can use their imaginations to transform everyday items into something completely innovative and unexpected.”
Combining her signature poetic painting style with a modern, magnetized lining, Sian’s whimsical wallpapers create aesthetically pleasing backdrops for adventure and play, inviting kids and adults alike to get hands-on with their room decor and express themselves through the movement of magnets. “Our paper encourages people to tell their own stories,” Sian explains. “I really want them to interact with the wall and see what they come up with.”