eBay have published a progress report on the Item Specifics and Category & Classification changes that rolled out for selected categories a week ago on the 15th of November. Things didn’t go quite as planned and they have been working away behind the scenes on an Item Specifics recovery plan with two main aims – to enable sellers to edit and list Items by pausing the mandates and at the same time preparing to copy values across to the new Item Specifics where possible:
Thank you for your continued patience as we complete work on the category and classification changes and additional item specifics requirements in some categories. Work is progressing and we have the following updates and tips for you.
- Using the item specifics provided in the listing, most active listings created in ‘retired’ categories have been moved into other existing, or new categories. You may now need to provide additional information in the Required item specifics fields when revising these listings. You can read more about category changes here.
- Some item specifics have been changed to make them consistent across different categories, e.g. there’s now just one Required item specifics field for Size, replacing the previous Shoe Size, Size (women’s), Size (men’s), etc. options.
Tips for sellers:
- If any Recommended or Additional item specifics aren’t relevant for your item, you don’t have to fill them in when creating or revising listings.
- If you’ve already entered a value into one of the old sizes fields, e.g. Shoe Size, the information is still there as an Additional item specific. Your listing will still be found by buyers using search filters. You can revise your listing without adding the corresponding Required item specific, but we strongly recommend you fill it in.
- EAN is showing in some categories as a Required field with no option to select Does not apply from the drop-down menu. If no EAN exists, you can still complete your clothing, shoes or accessories listings by leaving this field blank. Please note that some sellers have been typing “Does not apply” in the field – this isn’t necessary and it’s not recommended. If you don’t have an EAN, please don’t enter anything—simply leave the field blank.
What we’re working on now:
- We’ve created a solution to copy the old item specifics values (e.g. Shoe Size) into the new item specifics values (e.g. Size). Once fully tested, we’ll roll out this solution to restore missing Required item specific fields. We won’t be able to copy data for multi-variation listings, so we encourage you to fill in the Required fields so they don’t appear blank.
- The left-hand search navigation used by buyers on computers is working again for most item specifics. Except for a small number of categories, your listing will appear in relevant search results when using these filters. We’re working to fully restore all categories.
We appreciate your patience and, as always, thank you for selling on eBay.”
– Regards, The eBay Team