Alibaba have announced that their singles day event generated 2 billion GMV over the 11-days it was active, an increase of 26% compared to the same timeframe in 2019.
According to Alibaba, they handled 583,000 orders per second during the peak of activity and over 470 brands achieved more than RMB100 million in GMV showing the integrity of their platform and technology.
“Over the past 12 years, innovation has been at the heart of 11.11 and along the way it became a global consumer festival. 11.11 is defined by our consumers, merchants and our partners across the ecosystem, and also a beneficiary of all the support from society. We will continue to focus on developing our digital infrastructure in the service of empowering merchants of all sizes to find a path to success in the digital economy.”
– Jiang Fan, President, Taobao and Tmall
Highlights from the singles day event:
- 250,000 brands in total participated in 11.11 this year, of which 31,000 are overseas brands. Within these overseas brands, 2,600 participated in 11.11 for the first time.
- 357 emerging brands became top sellers in their respective subcategories. More than 1,800 emerging brands surpassed their GMV from 11.11 last year and, of these, 94 emerging brands enjoyed sales growth of over 1,000%.
- Under Alibaba’s Spring Thunder initiative, 1.2 million merchants and 300,000 factories focused on overseas trade from more than 2,000 industry clusters across China participated in 11.11.
- AI customer chatbot handled over 2.1 billion queries during the 11-day period.
- The United States was the top country selling to China by GMV. Other top-selling countries to China, in alphabetical order, include: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and UK.