Lengow and DataHawk have published a study on “Amazon and the online fashion market”. The “Clothing” category on the key Amazon marketplaces in Europe (DE, UK, FR, IT) was studied over a one-year period (May 2020 to May 2021). The 100 best sellers in the
category were analysed and the top 10 fashion best sellers were identified in each case. Which brands perform best? Which products sell best?
Many no-name brands in the top 10 fashion best sellers, yet Fruit Of The Loom to be found everywhere
- No-name brands are on a par with well-known brands in the top 10. This is due in part to the widespread unbranded searches on Amazon (only 22% of searches include a brand) and price (inexpensive products are clearly ahead in the top 10).
- On all Amazon marketplaces, the same well-known brands repeatedly appear in the top 10, e.g. Calvin Klein (UK, IT, FR), Puma (DE, IT, FR), Tommy Hilfiger (DE, IT, FR), or Levi’s (IT, FR). This speaks to a uniform Europe-wide Amazon brand strategy.
- Fruit Of The Loom is the only brand that is found in every top 10 list. It produces basic products that are bought primarily because of their attractive price. The US brand handles almost the entire distribution strategy via Amazon. Only in the US does it additionally have its own DTC online store.
- The majority of brands in the top 10 rely on an Amazon Brand Store. Particularly well-known brands (Levi’s, Puma, Lacoste, Crocs, Calvin Klein, etc.) do this to communicate a consistent brand image. Such a store also makes it possible to increase traffic and stand out from the competition.
Basic products most popular, national brands not equally popular everywhere
- The top 10 are dominated by basic products such as boxer shorts, underpants, underwear, socks, and T-shirts, items for which you don’t want to use the changing room, but rather order online without any fuss.
- The top 10 also includes basic products in large quantities, i.e. packs of 6, 10, or even 18. Amazon customers like to buy in bulk, so their purchases are effective and save money.
- Half of the brands on Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk are national. This is not the case on Amazon.fr and Amazon.it. Especially in the countries where Amazon is extremely strong, national brands seem to put more effort into a strategy that bears fruit.
A fragmented online fashion market in Europe
- Retailers and brands selling on Amazon in the “Apparel” category* additionally sold their products the most on the following marketplaces in Europe: Cdiscount (42.9%), Spartoo (38.1%), eBay (37.4%), La Redoute (25.9%), Zalando (13.7%) and Privalia (9.3%).
- Across Europe, Amazon retailers otherwise sell their products primarily on eBay, Spartoo and Zalando.
- France serves as an example of the highly fragmented fashion online market in Europe. In a poll of representative retailers** in the fashion sector Amazon is “only” in fourth place by average sales per month, behind Spartoo, La Redoute and Vente Privée.
You can download the complete study here