As part of their “A is for Authenticity” short film showcasing an inside look at eBay’s recently launched Authenticity Guarantee service for luxury handbags, eBay have temporarily placed luxury handbag vending machines in Dumbo, Brooklyn and Silver Lake, Los Angeles.
Beginning today, August 12th, through tomorrow, August 13th, shoppers visiting eBay’s luxury handbag vending machines will have a chance to score a coveted bag from luxury’s foremost brands, like the Hermès Birkin, Chanel Classic, Prada Diagramme and Louis Vuitton Nano Speedy Monogram. Though to get their hands on one of the designer bags, in-person participants will have to take part in a luxury-based trivia game to test their knowledge of all-things-handbags.
Previously available for sneakers and luxury watches, eBay expanded its Authenticity Guarantee service to handbags in June 2021 as eBay’s luxury sales hit an all-time high with a 30% YoY increase. The service has significantly changed the way people buy and sell luxury items by leaving nothing up to chance, and to-date, eBay has authenticated more than 1 million items across sneakers, watches and handbags.
“eBay’s luxury shoppers are constantly thinking about their next designer handbag,”
“In the same way traditional vending machines solve for convenience, eBay is making luxury instantly accessible, bringing designer handbags directly to enthusiasts in New York and Los Angeles — while also demonstrating the incredible inventory available on the marketplace.”
– Tirath Kamdar, GM of Luxury at eBay
Luxury Trend Report highlights:
- Men are More Likely to Invest in Luxury: 76% of men are investing in pre-owned luxury, with 57% of men buying pre-owned luxury at least once a month compared to 37% of female shoppers.
- Coast to Coast: Shoppers across the US can all agree on luxury. In 2021, The largest percent of Chanel sales in the US were from the West Coast, and in the Northeast, oversized totes sold better than any other region.
- In Search of Pre-Owned: In addition to price (45%), luxury shoppers say the ability to find rare and vintage items (33%), exclusive products (31%) and sold-out products (28%) are why they shop pre-owned.
- Keeping it Classic: Over the past two years, iconic luxury brands Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci and Saint Laurent were the most coveted luxury handbag brands.
- Ticking Up: Luxury watch sales have reached a record-high. From top brands alone, such as Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Patek Philippe and Cartier, more than 25,000 watches were sold in the first half of 2021.
- Material Matters: 2021 handbag trends are all about texture, with raffia bag sales increasing by 50% from January to July, and feather bags soaring 30% in that same timeframe.
You can read the full report here.