SMBs in India had a record breaking Amazon Prime Day after 153,000 SMBs received orders. The day was also a big win for Amazon after twice as many customers signed up for a Prime membership during the day compared to last year.
“This Prime Day was dedicated to our small business (SMB) partners, who have been increasingly looking to Amazon to keep their businesses running. We are humbled that we were able to help as this was our biggest Prime Day ever for small businesses”
– Amit Agarwal, SVP and Country Manager, Amazon India
Key wins on Prime Day in India:
Amazon have listed some important breakthroughs from their Prime Day in India.
- Artisans and weavers from Karigar, women entrepreneurs from Saheli, and startup brands from Launchpad saw growth of 6.7X, 2.6X and 2.1X respectively
- Over 1000 Local Shops made their Prime Day debut from over 100+ cities
- Over 1 million Prime members shopped from small businesses in the 14-day lead up to Prime Day
- Twice as many customers signed up for a Prime membership during Prime Day 2020 compared to last year; with more than 65% of new members from outside top 10 cities
- Prime members from over 97% pin codes of India shopped across multiple categories in these 48 hours
- Prime Day continued to be the time for new product launches by small and large brands; new launches saw a growth of 5x in customer purchases over Prime Day 2019
- Alexa answered over a million requests from customers during Prime Day on the Amazon Shopping app, guiding them to the products, best deals, new launches, bill payments, Prime Music and much more
- The 2 weeks lead-up to Prime Day was Prime Video India’s best ever in terms of viewership, with the highest number of streamers enjoying the content on the service
“Prime Day continues to be a unique opportunity for brands of all sizes to launch new products. Members loved the selection of new launches with 300 top brands and 150 unique products from SMB sellers.”