As inflation bites and the cost-of-living soars, shoppers are hoping to spend over £100 less on their Black Friday purchases this year, according to research undertaken last month. Tom Sheppard, Head of Deals Planning at eBay, shares tips on snagging a Black Friday bargain.
With research from eBay UK revealing over half the nation plans to shop second-hand or refurbished this festive season to help cut down on costs, eBay will only be promoting pre-loved and refurbished deals over the course of the Black Friday week.
Recent data has shown that by shopping these pre-loved and refurbished items, the UK could save 30,000 tonnes from landfill and a whopping £3 million pounds. That’s £280 per household! Encouraging more shoppers to make purchases that are better for both wallets and the planet, Tom Sheppard, eBay’s Black Friday expert, is lifting the lid on how shoppers can get the best for their money on eBay
Top Black Friday tips from Tom Sheppard
- Preparation – It pays to do your research. By planning ahead and knowing which item you’re after, you can avoid impulse buying and unwanted spending. To help this, add favourite items to your watch list rather than straight to the basket and keep checking back so you can easily see if and when the price drops.
- Think pre-loved first – When seeking out the best fashion deals pre-loved is the route to go, whether it’s designer gear you’re after or great value from your favourite high street brand. The majority of items will only have been used a handful of times and will be in like-new condition but at a fraction of the price. It’s a great way to save money, and in extending the life cycle of the item, you’re protecting the environment too
- Set alerts – If you’ve seen a dream item that you want but you’re struggling to find, you can set up alerts so that eBay notifies you if someone lists the product on site. On the Black Friday hub you can explore the best deals available across categories. E.g. tech, home and garden and more. With alerts you won’t miss any of the deals from your favourite brands, which are added daily!
- Certified deals – eBay’s Certified Refurbished Hub is home to high quality refurbished items from over 70 top brands including Dyson, Apple and Panasonic and includes tech, home & garden and hair and beauty appliances. All of the tech deals ahead and during Black Friday come from eBay approved refurbished sellers who offer a 12 month guarantee on products purchased, so shoppers can purchase these items with complete peace of mind. Don’t sleep on refurbished savings!
- Get in early – On recent Black Fridays, the most sales were made around 9am on eBay***, so make sure you get in early on the day. Before the main event there will be a range of offers on different categories throughout the week – so if you notice an item, you are after drops in price, it’s ok to bag it at a discount pre-Black Friday.
- Don’t forget Nectar – Not everyone knows you can link your eBay account to your Nectar card and collect or spend points on thousands of eBay purchases. Set this up ahead of time and keep an eye out for extra Black Friday promotions like our Nectar Power Hour.