In what looks like another direct move in the light of Amazon launching in Australia, eBay has launched its Plus service down under. eBay Plus is similar to Amazon Prime and is currently only also available on eBay Germany.
What is eBay Plus?
Here’s the specific benefits of the programme oneBay Australia:
- Free delivery: Delivery included on all Plus purchases, with over 15 million products listed
- Free returns on all eligible purchases
- Exclusive deals: Access special deals and discounts only available to eBay Plus members. Examples of offers include up to 60% off on popular items and early access to new product
- Bonus flybuys points: Collect double flybuys points purchases
- Premium customer service: A dedicated customer support team
eBay Plus will be available for $49 a year or for special launch price of $29.You can read the official announcement here.
We know our customers love the value and convenience of online shopping but our research shows the cost of delivery can stack up over time. eBay Plus is the ultimate shopping membership. It’s like getting free delivery from your local shopping centre without leaving home. You sign up to eBay Plus and receive free delivery and returns on 15 million items from tens of thousands of Aussie retailers including Myer, Target and Chemist Warehouse. With exclusive deals, double flybuys points and premium service, eBay Plus provides the best of Australian retail in one feature-packed membership, without the worry of delivery and return fees.
– Tim MacKinnon, Managing Director of eBay Australia & New Zealand
Obviously, this is a good innovation and great news for buyers. But it’s also most likely a response to the renewed ecommerce competition in Australia that came with the launch of a dedicated website and marketplace there late last year. Already eBay down under has cracked down on arbitrage, and specifically delivery using Amazon or other marketplaces or retailers. (We’ve written about that recently here.)