Amazon are emphasising that a delivery date which is even one day earlier could be the difference between making a purchase or not, as they encourage FBM (Fulfilled By Merchant) sellers to offer same day despatch.
If you configure your account for same day despatch as your default setting, it will shorten the delivery date shown to customers when they purchase products and increases the likelihood of a purchase.
Amazon also have a useful feature that lets you set a maximum number of orders you can handle for same day despatch, with any orders over the limit you set having an additional day’s handling time automatically added to ensure you can meet delivery promises.
We found that, on average, EU seller-set handling times are 30% longer than the actual time taken to prepare and ship products. Many sellers may already ship on the same day they receive orders without the benefit of showing it to customers and getting additional sales. You can see this benefit by configuring your account to same-day handling time!– Amazon
When setting same-day handling time, consider the following features:
- Order cut-off time: Setting same-day handling time requires sellers to ship and confirm all orders received before the cut-off hour within the same day. For orders received after the cut-off hour, sellers will have the next working day to handle these orders.
- The default cut-off hour is 2:00 p.m. local time but can be edited in shipping settings.
- Set order handling capacity: Set a limit for the number of orders you can handle with your default handling time. Every order above the limit with a 0 – 2 day handling time has +1 day handling time to avoid late deliveries.
- For more information, go to Modify order handling capacity.
- ASIN-level handling time: Switching to account to same day handling time will move your default handling to same-day. However, you can still set ASIN-specific handling time for ASINs that take longer to pack and ship. ASIN-specific handling time overrides the account level handling time for that product, while allowing the majority of a sellers products to showcase a faster delivery promise.
- To learn more about ASIN specific handling time, go to Modify handling time.
If you want to learn more, Amazon have a full Same-day handling time help page.