Etsy Summer trends report 2019 looks at what’s most likely to sell as the hot weather shifts consumer buying preferences. Here are three key trends that Etsy sellers can adopt into their product strategies to catch shoppers’ interest.
According to the report, the perfect expression of the season, florals never go out of style and lend freshness to both handmade and vintage items. Here are just a few categories where flowers are taking root.
Florals are back in a big way this season and craft supply sellers are keeping the perennial trend fresh with bouquet-worthy DIY paper petals and felt flowers.
Shoppers are getting their floral fix with picked-from-the garden accessories, from flower-shaped rings to laser cut bouquet necklaces.
Bags are blooming. This season’s satchels are taking cues from Mother Nature, featuring dramatic floral prints and embroidered details.
This year is all about warm earthy hues, and Etsy Trend Expert Dayna Isom Johnson has declared burnt orange Etsy’s Colour of the Year. This desert-inspired shade is grounding (yet refreshing) and undeniably natural. Also, it’s versatile, working well as a neutral base or punchy pop across categories.
Clothing and Accessories
Burnt orange is perfect for summer shoppers wanting to update their style, and for sellers looking to mix up their seasonal palette for summer (and into fall).
Statement earrings in Etsy’s Colour of the Year are a bold way to frame the face with a dose of maximalism. Jewellery sellers can play with proportion and texture to heighten the drama of these orange accents.
Home and Living
Terracotta tones give interiors a natural, down-to-earth feel and channel another big trend: southwestern style. There’s no need to go for an all-over-orange look—start with small sunkissed doses like an accent pillow or throw.
From genuine ‘70s home decor and ‘90s apparel to new products that feel inspired by simpler times, shoppers are revisiting history this season. We saw nostalgia hit home last Christmas with ’50s-inspired imagery (think family station wagons carrying trees through the snow) and now we’re seeing a focus on the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s looks that channel bygone eras but also feel fresh in key categories.
Jewellery and Accessories
Shoppers are scooping up vintage gems to accessorise their summer looks: Etsy searches for “80s” are up 21% year over year, with searches for “70s” and “90s” also on the rise. Look to materials like rattan, lucite and gold finishes to keep these classics feeling fresh and on trend.
Home and Living
The home is the perfect place to tap the nostalgia trend and bring in all those warm, cosy vintage feels. Shoppers are looking for time-tested items that are meant to be kept and treasured. Searches on Etsy for “wood toy” are up 30% year over year, as families seek out more unplugged activities and increasingly look to toys to double as home decor.
The summer’s hottest looks take cues from the not-too-distant past, with Etsy searches for “70s” and “90s” up 26% and 7% year over year. When exploring the nostalgic look in your shop, feel free to mix items from more than one decade. Shoppers’ longing for bygone days could stick around through fall, with the ‘90s grip on fashion growing. Even little details like daisies make a strong vintage statement.
How to capitalise on seasonal trends?
Update your shop banner with seasonal themes
- Incorporate trends in your photos and styling.
- Use your featured listings to spotlight fresh designs alongside bestsellers.
- Include relevant seasonal search terms in your tags and titles.
- Consider popular budgets when pricing your items (ex: Bank Holiday Monday gifts under £50 and under £100).
- Offer ready-to-ship items to appeal to last-minute shoppers.
- Put important recipient keywords like “grandmother” in your titles and tags.
- Keep your shop fresh
- Highlight gift potential in your product photos.
- Offer fast and fair-priced shipping.
- Offer personalisation: It’s now easier than ever, with a new field that lets buyers add important personalisation request details before they check out.
- Only tap the trends that feel right for your business. If a trend doesn’t resonate with you or your target customer, skip it.
- Remember to update occasion-specific images, tags, and titles as soon as the key date has passed.