GFS have been tracking couriers during the Covid-19 outbreak and this is their latest update.
UK Parcel Deliveries
- At present all carrier partner parcel operations continue as normal.
- All hubs and depots are working as normal and we have no closures impacting on any carrier site.
- Please note we have been advised by a number of carriers about a temporary policy change in relation to deliveries to customers who are self-isolating and who would prefer not to sign a hand-held scanner or engage with the courier. For further carrier specific information, please speak with your Account Manager.
DPD has today introduced a new process to reduce the contact between the consignee and the DPD driver at the point of delivery. As part of this process DPD is no longer asking your customers to sign handheld units and instead DPD drivers will sign it on their behalf. DPD will record the consignees name and a ‘Delivered on Authority’ message in the signature section of the unit. You will still get your full track and trace functionality via GFS Seeker. DPD has advised that this now forms part of their proof of delivery process for all deliveries until further notice.
Hermes have also implemented “contact free delivery”. Customers will be asked to nominate a “safe place” which can be done through the Hermes app. If a safe place hasn’t been chosen then the courier will leave it in a safe place and take a photo which will be included in the delivery notification email. For parcels requiring signatures, couriers will do this on behalf of customers if they wish to avoid unnecessary contact.
International Parcel Deliveries
- At present International parcel operations are largely continuing as normal.
- We are now starting to see evidence of delays to countries that have special measures or restrictions in place, these include USA, France, Spain and Italy.
- We are aware that a number of businesses in Italy are currently closed and therefore we would encourage you to check that your customer’s premises are open and able to receive parcels before you ship.
- Hermes: Operating outbound network as normal and attempting delivery to the consignee’s address. Hermes has suspended deliveries to parcel shops in Spain & France which are closed due to Government lock down instructions.
- DPD: Operating as normal with the exception of parcel shops in France, Italy & Germany. Italy & Germany parcel shops are closed, France has all but 1000 stores closed, those that are deemed essential.
- DHL Express: Current guidance is that the network is operating as normal. There is some impact on timed services across Europe.
- GFS International: Both eCommerce Economy & eCommerce Plus services are operating as normal.
Where parcel shops become unavailable GFS Checkout will automatically remove them from any shipping options.
We are aware that there is currently a shortage in Air Cargo capacity to the United States, this is affecting some deferred US services.
Update on shipping during coronavirus courtesy of GFS.