Katy Medlock, GM UK for Back Market, speaks to ChannelX TV on the intersection of three global trends that are driving the rise of refurbished electronics in the UK. Having launched Back Market in the UK just a couple of years ago, Britain has proved to be one of their fastest growing territories offering significant business opportunities for refurbishers and a ready pool of potential buyers.
Katy also explores the future for refurbished goods, which is already massively expanded from smartphones, tablets and laptops, to include everything from robot vacuum cleaners to air fryers.
Watch the video to hear Katy’s insights on:
- 00:00 Back Market three years after UK launch
- 01:33 The Intersection of three global trends in the UK
- 03:50 Refurbished vs New – Can you tell the difference?
- 05:10 Refurbished with all the experiences of buying a new device
- 06:49 Back Market marketplace model and consumer trust
- 08:40 Back Market consumer trade in service
- 10:13 Can my cracked smartphone be traded in and refurbished to like new?
- 11:44 Refurbisher buying and selling on Back Market
- 12:45 Refurbishing for more than just smartphones
- 15:06 Size of the Back Market business opportunity