At The Delivery Conference this week, we caught up with Katy Medlock, GM UK for Back Market, to discuss the environmental impact of tech products and the huge appetite for refurbished products which is driving the success of the platform in the UK.
As we enter 2024, Katy wishes that she could say that sustainability is the key factor driving the sales of refurbished tech, but acknowledges that it’s the cost of living crisis which has taken a front seat for many consumers. Thankfully, the result is the same that the British public are showing an increased appreciation for refurbished tech, and they are becoming ever better educated as to the quality of refurbished goods in comparison to used.
In this video you will find:
- 00:00 Back Market’s success in the UK as we enter 2024
- 03:05 Consumers’ awareness of sustainability and the impact of electronic devices
- 04:43 How long can the life of electronic devices be extended by?
- 07:59 After smartphones, what are the next categories for refurbished products?
- 08:56 The Back Market Trade In programme
- 10:48 What are brands doing to extend device lifespan?
- 11:37 Regulation and The Right to Repair
- 13:05 Opportunities for retailers, brands and Refurbished on Back Market