As the nation gets ready to watch their favourite Islanders return for a second chance at love, in ITV’s first-ever Love Island All Stars series, eBay UK is encouraging the nation to give clothes a second chance, by wearing them all year round.
With new research revealing 79% of shoppers get rid of clothes that they consider not on trend or no longer in season, eBay has coined this behaviour ‘single-season wear’, which the marketplace is on a mission to put an end to in 2024.
These fast fashion habits have made seasonal styles a throwaway affair which is fuelling the mounting issue of fashion waste. On average, 18-35 year olds purchase 9 new items for each changing season, which adds up to 36 new items every year. And only 5% of the nation wear their wardrobes all year round, with over half (58%) of 18-35 year olds only ever shopping just before, at the start of, or during a new season.
Turning the tables on traditional seasonal dressing, eBay is encouraging the nation to build their forever wardrobes by shopping for pre-loved fashion over new and re-styling their clothes for multiple seasons. According to Amy Bannerman, eBay’s Pre-loved Style Director, her ultimate eBay hack is that shoppers can save big without sacrificing on style, by buying pre-loved staples ahead of season.
For example, coats and jackets cost 30% less on average in July than in December and similarly, shorts sell on average for 15% less in December versus June. As budget is considered an important factor to 93% of consumers when shopping, out of season shopping is the best kept fashion secret.
Jemma Tadd, Head of Fashion, eBay UK, commented, “We’ve seen an incredible shift towards shopping pre-loved since we first partnered with Love Island, but there’s still more to be done. Just as the Islanders are getting a second chance at love this series, we want shoppers to give clothes a second chance too. A change of seasons is too often coupled with new collections and last minute consumption, so if we can inspire shoppers to ditch single-season wear and build a pre-loved wardrobe they can wear all year round, we’re heading in the right direction.”
As research reveals that 15% of shoppers admit they don’t know how to style their clothes out of season, Amy Bannerman, eBay’s Pre-Loved Style Director, is sharing her top tips to embrace seasonless styling and the pre-loved staples to look out for:
- Incorporate different fabrics – I recently wore my Issey Miyake mid length summer dress under my Collagerie kilt, which looked like an Issey top I’ve always wanted and also kept my legs a bit warmer. Embrace thermal base layers and fabrics such as pointelle, which is having a real comeback and offers some interesting detail too.
- Layer it up – For winter outerwear try layering multiple jackets, a thick sweater with a fitted denim jacket and an oversized trench coat is a timeless layering combination and means you will get more use out of your lighter weight summer jackets.
- Update with footwear – Trainers can instantly update any outfit and will work year round so these are a great investment in terms of cost per wear and versatility. With eBay UK’s Authenticity Guarantee offering you can ensure you’re getting an added layer of confidence when you purchase your new favourite pair.
- Try a new colour – If something is a bit old or tired, dye it. Look out for companies which use natural dyers made from seasonal plants to create colour change without using chemicals.
- Make something old, something new – If your clothes have holes from moths or lots of wear, use repair companies to cover them using embroidery which is bespoke to you, perhaps some flowers or your initials. Your item will not only be mended, it will be more special than it was to start with!
Amy Bannerman is lifting the lid on the timeless fashion trends heading into the villa this season. Each trend includes a mix of pre-loved picks, as well as items from eBay’s Imperfects range, which offers non-new clothes from over 100 high street brands and designers. The three key wardrobe trends are ‘Best of British’, ‘Seasons Past’, and ‘Designer for Less’, which Amy reveals more on below. Viewers can shop to get the Love Island look on eBay here and the hub will be updated throughout the series, so fans can emulate their favourite Islander’s style.
Best of British
The British fashion industry is unrivalled in terms of creativity and individuality, from our incredible designers such as Burberry, Nensi Dojaka, Supriya Lele and Vivienne Westwood and also our old school vintage high street brands like Topshop, Laura Ashley and Bay Trading. Since eBay’s partnership with Love Island started we have sourced a cross section of the best Britain has to offer, from rare high end pieces to those more affordable timeless wardrobe essentials. It really is the dream capsule wardrobe!– Amy Bannerman
This is the fourth season we have been sourcing on eBay for the Islanders and during this time we have collated a vast and eclectic wardrobe for them, which grows every season. It is so exciting to source unique pre-loved pieces like the men’s tie dye Stussy Jacket, the blue latex Versace dress and the Rat and Boa dresses which have been re-worn throughout multiple seasons and also within one season by different Islanders. This is what pre-loved is about, showing that individual pieces have multiple lives, putting an end to single-wear for good.– Amy Bannerman
Designs for Less
One of the best things about shopping pre-loved and through eBay’s Imperfects range is that you get luxury pieces for less bringing a whole new spin on the popular term “quiet luxury”. We have sourced multiple items from eBay’s Imperfects range and also incredibly rare vintage designer pieces including the iconic yellow satin Versace and Gaultier Junior two pieces that Tasha wore in season 8. This season the men are really leaning into these luxury labels so expect to see pieces by Miu Miu, Prada, Dries Van Noten and Jacquemus on your screens.– Amy Bannerman