Three Scottish friends – Fraser Smeaton, Ali Smeaton, and Gregor Lawson – started MorphCostumes with just £1000 from their savings each and sold the spandex costumes from their homes, initially intended to be just a side-hustle. However, after one year they turned over £1m and it compelled them to dive headfirst into the booming Halloween industry.
Today MorphCostumes are a ~£40m business and we talk to Fraser to discover how they’ve driven growth in international markets via Amazon and their plans to continue the rapid growth trajectory.
In this video you will find:
- 00:00 The idea that sparked MorphCostumes in 2006
- 01:46 Growing to a £1m side hustle to becoming a full time business
- 04:39 Halloween, Christmas, European Carnival, Book Day, and Easter seasonal spikes
- 06:00 Selling an item every 3.5 seconds for the whole of October!
- 06:35 The size of MorphCostumes today ~£40m
- 07:23 How Amazon have helped grow the business
- 09:56 Strategies for expanding internationally with Amazon
- 11:52 What’s driving growth at MorphCostumes?
- 14:24 With FBA it’s not too late to get a fancy dress from MorphCostumes for Halloween!