eBay UK is launching The Authenticity Lab today – a first-of-its-kind multi-sensory experience in London this Autumn putting sneakerheads’ Sneaker Sense knowledge to the test.
For the first time, the OG sneaker marketplace is pulling back the curtain behind its Authenticity Guarantee process, which ensures sneakers sold on the platform are the real deal. This playful take on the authentication process celebrates the sneaker community’s rich connection to culture and will challenge attendees to use all 5 senses and a special sixth ‘Sneaker Sense’ to get their hands on hyped sneaker prizes including Union Jordan 4s and New Balance 990 v3 JJJJound.
- Sound: Go beyond the rustle of packaging & the squeak of leather to imagine the true, ‘authentic sound’ of a sneaker. Place a sneaker to your ear and reveal a sonic surprise – a spoken word soundtrack by Niko B paying homage to the shoes’ impact on culture and music.
- Touch: Connect to culture with your fingertips and identify the iconic sneakers hidden in our mystery boxes. Can you guess the crep?
- Taste: Paying homage to Fat Joe’s iconic sneaker lick, famous sneakers are reimagined into deliciously flavoured lollipops for attendees to enjoy.
- Sight: Find out if you have the authenticator’s eye and try to spot a real grail, from the tightest of angles, in all its detailed glory.
- Smell: eBay’s authenticators can sniff out genuine pairs – so investigate and learn the smells including the addicting box-fresh scent and those of different materials including suede and shoe rubber.
- Sneaker Sense: An exclusive 6th sense for those who are up for the challenge and know their sneaker knowledge. Find the hidden eBay authentication tag and get the chance to walk home with some of the rarest finds on eBay.
I know as a sneakerhead myself, that we’re obsessives when it comes to the look, feel, sound and even smell of a new pair of shoes. The Authenticity Lab animates how our own team of sneaker authenticators check and verify each shoe sold on eBay, with every detail counting – so we look forward to putting the public’s knowledge to the test to get their hands on some hyped shoes.– Wahaaj Shabbir, Head of Sneakers, eBay UK
To bring these to life, eBay has partnered with Niko B and a line-up of experts within the sneaker community, Magdi and FD From the Future, curating the rarest and most hard-to-find pairs featured, ready to be discovered and set to be won at the Lab.
Music and sneakers both share the same driveway, both about creating something timeless and getting into them tiny corners of the brain to create something new. They’ve always been hand in hand and allow the individual to fully express who they are. Very very excited to bring bars to the Lab to celebrate the sensational connection between the two.– Niko B
Launching outside King’s Cross Station between 22nd – 23rd September, sneakerheads can visit The Lab between the hours of 10am and 6pm. The Authenticity Lab is also travelling to Sneakerness London for just 48 hours the following weekend, 30th September-1st October.